The Punjab Public Service Commission took birth at Lahore on 1st May 1937 and it is headquartered at Patiala since 1st November 1956 owing to reorganization of States.
The Commission has a Chairman duly assisted and supported by 6 members. Its job is to recruit personnel for the public services and regulate their service conditions. The website pertaining to the commission is ppsc.gov.in
The primary role of the commission is to recruit personnel for highest ranked jobs in the State Government through Punjab Civil Services Examination. These are Gazetted rank posts.
(1) The Punjab Civil Services Examination is also called PCS. It is a combined competitive examination held for the posts of Punjab Civil Service (Executive Branch), Deputy Superintendent of Police, Block development & Panchayat officer, District Probation officers (jails) Deputy Superintendent of jail (Grade II), Excise & Taxation officer, Labour & Conciliation officer and Tahsildar
• Eligibility Conditions:
1) Candidates should posses any bachelor’s degree and it should be from a recognized university. Candidates who are expecting to pass the degree course are also eligible provided they have to submit the proof of clearing the examination before they appear for the final examination of PCS.
2) Candidate should also have cleared Punjabi language in matriculation
The age of the applicant should not be less than 21 years or greater than 38 years. This upper age limit of 38 years is relaxable upto 5 years for SC, ST & Backward classes who live in Punjab
Note: There is upper age relaxation upto 45 years for candidates who are already employed in government service and have put in 4 years of service therein.
The candidates should be Indian national or Nepali Citizen or from Bhutan
Only online applications are accepted. The examination fee is Rs. 3000/- for all candidates except for SC/ST & BC for whom it is free of cost.
The Examination Pattern for PCS examination:
1) PCS Preliminary examination and 2) PCS Main examination
• Preliminary Examination –>
Paper I – General Studies – 100 questions – 2hrs 250 marks
Paper II – Civil Services Aptitude Test – 80 questions – 2 hrs 200 marks
• Main Examination —->
Punjabi & English (Compulsory), Essay Writing,
Paper-I General Studies-History, Society & Geography
Paper-II General Studies-Indian Constitution, International relation
Paper-III General Studies-Economics, Security issues & Statistics
Paper IV-General Studies-Environment, Science & Technology, Problem Solving and Decision Making
(Note: A Candidate has to obtain at least 45% in aggregate (For SC/ST-40%)
in order to qualify for interview)
Interview: Those who qualify in the above exams will be called for Interview
BOOKS THAT CAN BE REFFERED:
Severe hard work is required to get crack the PCS examination. Lot of books have to be referred. The Candidate can go through “The Hindu” newspaper to improve his vocabulary. One can also refer to Pratiyogita Kiran, India Today, Malayalam Manorama etc. Apart from this there are several good books which can guide the aspirants to success and the following are few such books:
1) General Knowledge & General Studies by R.P. Sharma
2) Book on Public Administration by Urmila Sharma & S.K. Sharma
3) Book by Dr.K.K. Sharma -Civil Services Success Planner
4) Book on Indian Politics by Sri. Lakshmikanth
2) The Commission also conducts recruitment for the following posts:
Research officer, Legal Assistant, Section officer, Soil Conservation Officer, Inspector of Co-operative Societies
Age Limit: The prescribed Age Limit is 18 to 37 years with applicability of age relaxation as per rules
Qualification (Educational): The required educational qualification is different for various posts and are below:
Research Officer: Master’s in Economics/Agricultural Economics/Mathematics/Commerce with Statistics as one of the subject
Legal Assistant : Bachelor of Law
Soil Conservation officer: B Tech in IT/Computers/Mech.Engineering BA, LLB
Section Officer : M.Com or B.Com with ICWA
Inspector-Cooperative Societies: Degree with 60% marks – should have passed matric
with Punjabi as one of the subject and should have passed a computer course
The commission also recruits Medical officers, Lecturers, Programmers, Sainik Welfare officers, Architects etc. The candidates may refer the website: www.ppsc.gov.in from time to time.
SUCCESS IS NO ACCIDENT. IT IS HARD WORK, PERSEVERANCE, LEARNING, STUDYING, SACRIFICE AND MOST OF ALL, LOVE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR LEARNING TO DO – PELE
Job portals like govtkb offer free government job updates.